San Miguel de Allende

San Miguel de Allende
Roof rainbow...San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Terrible Sweetness

Terrible Sweetness

This morning I spread
mezquite honey from the
countryside of San Miguel,
right from the bees, no

processing, the small
jar filled with sweetness,
a hazy green jewel in

sunlight, while the Israelis
evict the Palestinians from
their family home, an old
Nazi murderer being counted

for his crimes against humanity,
yes humanity, while they arrest
protestors in Arizona for that
outrage ('show me your papers'),

so many stories of sorrow, I could
not read on today, not today, instead
I tasted the green jewel on my
tongue like a toddler, "I like this,

I want more, I want more
sweetness," I want to
follow the migration of
bees, butterflies, the hummingbird's

iridescent wing,
I want to memorize
beauty, I want
beauty to burn her self on

my eye lids, my irises,
I want beauty to stalk my
dreaming, I want her
to enfold me in her

terrible sweetness, I know
the endless work bees do
daily for this pleasure
on my tongue, I want

to imagine the green
jewel is their Cosmos,
the rising Sixth Sun
their God/dess as they create

this endless, this ecstasy,
this beauty, this terrible
sweetness for.
Us. All.

San Miguel de Allende, Mexico 31 Julio 2010

Today some teens came by the house asking for some pesos to 'cross the border...el otro lado'... teens are lucky to make 100 pesos in a day washing cars, that's under $10usd, which drives them to el otro lado. I gave them 100 pesos, what I had on my kitchen counter, they were so happy, they were so happy, it breaks my heart. I only hope they use it for some tacitos on the streets, a few coca colas, and not to make that death-dealing journey/attempt to reach 'the other side.' Keep them safe, Ixchel...that they may live into the Sixth World.

7 comments:

  1. So gorgeous and powerful, amazing Alma. Welcome to the world of blogging--so glad you're bringing your incredible voice into the fray.

    xoxo
    gayle
    p.s. Thanks so much for the Amazon review! I'm very very grateful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the poem - keep up your good work.

    Subbarao Seethamsetty
    seethams@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very happy to read your work this way. Thank you for sharing it.

    This poem moves me...as does much of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracias, Ayanna...my latest book of poetry is 'Soft Chaos' on Amazon.com if you're interested...there's 'travel poems' in it, the journey...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Alma. I got Soft Chaos and it is lovely also-- you have a magical way with spinning life into images through words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracias, Marianne...hope the writing goes well, la fictive dream...

    ReplyDelete